Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Quality Control - Park Tools X D.I.D Chain Whip

Yup, I D.I.D. it... Despite the hype on park tools products there are some holes in the quality standards of their tools. Parks' Chain whip, for instance has, an entry level KMC chain that is built to fail the tests of even the most season mechanic versus a thoroughly neglected (rusted/chipped) cog. I realize that keeping the cost down to meet the demand of the masses is essential, so i cannot blame the companies' decision to downgrade one aspect of an otherwise decent product. That however does not stop me from upgrading The 1/8" specific SR-18 chainwhip, and thanks to the nut-and-bolt system they've added to the contact points of the tool (older models were riveted), it was a pretty simple upgrade.

The D.I.D. chain connects with a similar square-nut and bolt which is standard on mid-range to high-end chains (think the classic Super-Toughness chain). This chain feature is actually how the idea came to me to tune up my chain whip. I made the wrapping component of the tool extra long because it would be a shame not to take advantage of have that luxury, just in case. This is only going to be used on cogs and vintage freewheels, but it'll be nice to know that the chain won't pop in the middle of a battle between my knuckles and a toothy piece of dirty steel.

No comments: