Monday, April 2, 2012

Bikes! Mercier Kilo TT - Gold Digger

This is my latest project, A 50cm Gold fixie. My intent was to create a Lo-Pro urban assault Cruiser.I needed this bike to be visible, simple, durable and have a classic touch. I started with the chainstay protector and made my way to the front with my personal staple, cloth tape and natural shellac. Tessostar cloth tape is a very strong, light material that lasts a long time on its own. Shellac, however, fills the nooks and crannies of the cloth and makes a tough shell that becomes more glossy with each layer. The metal toeclips are adorned with dyed hemp that I , again, coated with shellac, creating an elegant and durable structure that I feel rivals classic leather toeclip covers. I used some Velo Orange bars for a more comfortable, practical ride in the city, and wrapped them and the top tube to complete the concept. As you can tell I am very confident in cloth tape and shellac. after making sure the wheels were round and true, The bike is complete.



No comments: