Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tattoos and Band logos

Two commissions I get most often are tattoos and band art designs. Jobs usually get hectic amongst the chaos of miscommunication or a lack of understanding one way or another. Most of the time it does not work out. In my years of doing the same dance with tattoos and band stuff, only once has my work graced the cover a CD. a project that Andrew Payton did in 2005, i believe. I have yet to see my work on flesh. Today marks a special occasion where two projects surface. Jeremy of Ashes of Kings and a close chap of mine, Matt, needed art. I have done my best to fulfill their visions. Jeremy Aronson, bassist of Ashes Of Kings has been a close friend through thick and thin. There has been some distance over the years; him, with his band, me, with school and art. After a while (a long while) I worked up the nerve to make a design for him and the band. calligraphy is meditative.

Matt, a friend who has saved my life on more than one occasion, requested two designs. First, a quote: "If this be treason, then make the most of it!".

The second design, a dead tree that supports the cocoon of an emerging monarch. Trees are a challenge. Another challenge was sizing the cocoon right. Too small, the cocoon resembles a a single leaf (or a booger). Too large a cocoon would be too fantastical for the Man's Man that the design is for. For more information on Ashes of Kings visit: www.myspace.com/ashesofkings

No comments: